Friday, August 26, 2011

A Box of Chocolates

So far I have done two laparotomies and was told that opening an  abdomen in Cameroon is like a box of chocolates....you don't know what you will get.  So true! 

My days are filled with many patients and I  think over half the ward is filled with wounds and fractures from motor vehicle accidents. My attempt at a shoulder reduction today was something else...patients present in their condition very late and  this 81 year old woman presented with two weeks of dislocation.

In the picture is little Yvette, an orphan. She is receiving physical therapy. She had an injured leg from a fall and then attempt was made by a traditional healer to fix it which caused severe compression sores. We have the wounds closed now and she is improving and hopefully will be well enough to start school.

5 comments:

  1. You are so awesome!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go Crystal! And I hope that when of these times when you open somebody up, you really DO find a nice box of chocolates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you!
    Kick some surgical ass mama bear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, Thank you for telling me about your blog. I have forwarded on to several people. You are an inspiration and I love you for your determination and purpose and a thousand other reasons too! Kathy Speulda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great blog! It will be inspirational to watch as you change the world!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete