Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Getting Ready to Depart

I depart in one week and have not been able to prepare as much as I'd 
hoped due to boards and some time working on the Navajo Indian 
Reservation.
 
I've managed to gather some supplies requested by the Hakes who are 
already there. When watching the news and seeing the drought on the 
East continent I can't help but wonder if it moves West who will be 
left in need of a doctor? It reminds me of a physician who worked very 
hard for polio eradication in Africa: After a huge vaccination effort 
a village man went up to him and said that child you vaccinated, he 
thanks you now but wait...he will curse you later when he is hungry.

Lastly, several people have been asking why I have not taken a 
position in a hospital and instead go off to "The Dark Continent" my 
response is that of Mother Teresa who says: Everybody wants to be 
where people have the most where people can pay you and it's nice to 
live. It's all the other places nobody wants to go. It is these places 
I think as servants of our brothers and sisters we must go "Whatever 
you neglected to do unto one of these least of these, you neglected to 
do unto Me".

3 comments: